25 September 2011

pesto

Pesto is another delicious thing to have always in your fridge. Actually I didn't know how useful it is until I made one. I thought it would be a perfect supply for winter time, but well... That sweet little green glass won't last until then. It appears to be a great supply for all season.  
My mother never tried pesto before, actually she never even heard of it. She is very conservative about the food, she mostly eats "verified" dishes. And there is also my sister, she don't like garlic because of the smell and my brother don't eat most of vegetables at all. So I thought they wouldn't really like that pesto and was planning to share the joy with Marko and store the rest @ my new apartment in Ljubljana. But actually it was like that: I did share the joy with Marko first, but then I shared it with all the other family members for the whole last week. Grandma's gnocchi with pesto, spaghetti with pesto, bread with pesto, potatoes with pesto, pizza with pesto. And pesto is almost gone. Everybody in the house find it tasty, obviosly.
I'd love to make another dose of it anyway. At my mother's house is now the perfect time for homemade parsley pesto. Why? Because there is a lot of parsley in the garden, which is slowly going to become yellow and wilted. It's a good solution to store it like that:

Parsley pesto
40g of slightly toasted peeled almonds (cooled)
4 bunches of parsley
3 cloves of garlic
60g of parmesan (or ementaler) cheese
1/2 teaspoon of salt
200ml of olive oil
1 pinch of black pepper

Prepare a glass jar if you make bigger amounts for storing. 
Place all ingredients except for oil in a food processor or blender. Blend, then stir in olive oil. 
Place the mixture into glasses and fill with olive oil to the top of the glass jar. Close and store it in the fridge.
You can freely exclude cheese and experiment with other nuts and spices. 
 

I love to add a little pesto to spice different kinds of sauces or marinades for tofu and seitan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment